Caneland Central and Lend Lease Retail are committed to delivering a sustainable future for all our stakeholders.
Behind the hustle and bustle of everyday shopping at Caneland Central lies some pretty impressive sustainability initiatives. You'll know Caneland as a mecca for getting your retail fix in the Mackay region, but did you also know that the Centre is a leader in the shopping centre sustainability space and is constantly evolving to ensure it continues to become more environmentally friendly?
We recognise the legacy of our activities and know we are accountable for what we take, what we create and what we leave behind.
Caneland recently received its highest ever annual NABERS energy rating of 5 stars!
Water Efficiency Rating
The Centre's annual NABERS water rating also went up from 3 to 3.5 stars with a 16.8% reduction on water usage for the year.
Over the last two years the Centre has completed the following sustainability initiatives:
- New Power Factor Correction Units - nifty little devices that filter and clean the power supply
- LED lighting upgrades throughout the carparks and the common areas of the Centre
- Solar lighting installation in the eastern and western car parks
- Upgraded push timer taps and water saving toilet cisterns in all amenities (resulting in less water use)
- Water use monitoring via Mackay Regional Council’s myH2O portal system to detect and fix any leaks
- Upgrade to Building Management System (BMS) Software which allows us to achieve greater energy use control across the Centre
- Water Harvesting upgrade with new state of the art filters and controllers. The revised Water Harvesting Project will collect up to 180k litres of water each time a rain event occurs in Mackay, this is approximately 3.5 average house swimming pools that can then be reused back in to the Centre's toilet and garden systems.
Another way the Centre is playing a major role in being more environmentally friendly is by increasing our recycling initiatives. For many years the Centre has housed co-mingled bins, cardboard compacters and a steel bin to avoid unnecessary waste ending up in landfill. But the Centre’s newest initiative called The Recycling Room will really take our recycling efforts to another level. Through manual labour from our dedicated cleaning and maintenance team, the initiative has already managed to remove more than 1,335 kgs of general waste from the Centre recycling bins and turned more than 1,100 bottles and cans into clean recyclables from January to March this year.
Caneland is also proud to be the only Simply Cup collection point in Mackay. Simply Cups Australia is a program that helps businesses separate their takeaway cups from other waste streams. The cups are collected from our two Simply Cups bins, located near Boost Juice and the Playground in the Food Court, as well as from the centre’s cafes. Simply Cups then transform these disposable cups into new products such as car park wheel stops, roadside kerbing, recycled furniture, and even reusable consumer products such as the stay tray and keep cup. Thanks to the efforts of staff and customers, the Caneland Central Simply Cups recycling program has now kept more than 50,000 cups out of landfill.